Lake View School
Lake View school was built in 1905 by Olaf Dahline and Victor Hultquist of Balsam Fir Logs. Its original location was at the corner of what is now Big Bay Road and Schoolhouse Road. It was operated as the third school on the Island until 1938. The building was donated & moved to the Heritage Center in 1992 & restored to reflect the one room schoolhouse.
The Island's first Protestant Parsonage of St John's Memorial Church was originally a family residence located on Main Street. It was purchased by the church and in 1922 became the first protestant parsonage for Rev. Harry Bruckner and his family. In 1935 the building was sold and moved and once again a residence until it was donated to MIHPA in 1998. Furnishings include an antique organ, household goods, a kerosene stove and the original loom found in the attic - the loom that started a whole cottage industry at Woods Hall Craft Shop next to St. John's Church on Main Street.
Winter Transportation Mural
On the back of the parsonage is another painted mural. This mural depicts the unique modes of winter transportation required when living on an island sometimes iced in by Lake Superior.
Featured in the mural you will see Leonard Erickson standing next to the Battle Wagon.. In the 1950's, Leonard and his vehicle, kept island roads drivable, including the ice road, once it formed between the island and Bayfield.
Windsled pioneer, Elmer Nelson stands next to an early windsled, Maybe II, a rebuilt and improved edition of the Maybe. The Maybe was the island's first windsled, purchased by Howard Russell in the 1940's. Visible in the painting is a boat filled with passengers. Ferrying goods and passengers across in boats worked when the lake was open. Once an ice road formed, mushing the 3 miles across on a dogsled became a workable option. In 1937 Bayfield physician, Dr. M. J. Robertson, traveled by dogsled in the wee hours of the morning to deliver two babies in different Islands homes. As he reported, "It was all part of the day's work."
Also featured in the mural are school children standing along side their horse drawn school bus. In this 1915 depiction, driver Joe Croogan has picked up the children and is delivering them to the island's Lake View School. Finally, up in the sky is an airplane. Clarence Russell brought the first airplane to the island in 1919. Mail and supplies could now be delivered via the air.
Angus Building & Mural
This building began as a logger's bunkhouse, then was later moved and operated by Mary & Dan Angus as the Cheese House located on County Road H.
After the Cheese House closed in 1996, it was donated to MIHPA by the Angus family and moved to the Heritage Center. A history of the Angus family, early pioneers since 1835, is on display along with family and Island artifacts.
On the back of this building is painted a mural that represents the story of islanders who spent their days plying the waters of Lake Superior. It depicts Captain Dan Angus and his schooner the Lizzie W, that brought day tourists and vacationers to the island and back. Also featured is John Hagan, who along with his brother, William, operated a thriving commercial fishing business on the south side of Madeline Island for over 50 years.
In 1992, after a separation of 50 years, the woodshed that originally stood behind the Lake View School on the north end of the Island, was reunited with the schoolhouse at our Heritage Center. Despite the long separation and a few relocations, the Woodshed maintained a close liaison with people associated with the Lake View School. Once again, at home behind the Lake View School, the woodshed now provides the perfect setting to display island history through photos & artifacts.
The Coop Gift Shop
Once part of the pioneering homestead of Joseph Cadotte, this 130-year old log structure was originally used as a chicken coop, then years later as a bunkhouse. Refurbished and scrubbed up, the Coop serves as temporary home for our small MIHPA Gift Shop. Please visit our Books & Gifts section for your shopping needs.
Veterans' Memorial Garden
The Veterans' Honor Garden was dedicated in 2013. The garden is a peaceful place of contemplation. Pavers with the names of veterans, living and deceased surround the Superior stone garden.
Richard D. Hinrichsen Sculpture
This metal sculpture, created by Island artist Zach Montagne, is dedicated to the memory of our friend & neighbor Richard Hinrichsen .Richard was named the "unofficial Island greeter" to each ferry load of visitors who came to Madeline Island. His uninhibited enthusiasm and joy made everyone feel welcome and an instant friend. He rode the streets of La Pointe on his bicycle, towing his old lawnmower behind, in anticipation of finding a neighbor who needed a lawn mowed or help with some odd jobs... or just taking time to visit.
The artist Zach Montagne used found and donated metal objects from the Island to create this perfect image of how Islanders remember Richard E. Hinrichsen, and his zest for life. The project was made possible by grants from the Island Association, La Pointe Center for the Arts in association with Wisconsin Arts Board and the Grutzner Madeline Island Fund, an affiliate of the Duluth Superior Area Community Foundation.